Friday, December 6, 2013

Berry Yogurt Fruit Salad

I am back! Our son was born on October 3rd and I enjoyed my little break from blogging and really even cooking much, but am anxious to get back into it. I stocked my freezer before our little boy was born and between working our way through that and food our friends and family brought us, I haven’t had to cook much. I have cooked some, actually in the first couple weeks the most when my husband and parents were around all day helping. I took advantage of their help and cooked some easy meals, so I could save our freezer meals for when it was just us.




Our life is different now, but in oh such a good way. I am loving life! Every day is new and fun. Our little boy is just over two months and smiling, ‘talking’, rolling over and just changing by the day. We are so in love with him and our new life. The holidays are definitely bringing a new joy that we haven’t experienced before. Halloween was fun, even though he isn’t at the trick or treat age. We went to our neighbor's garage party to show off our cute little pumpkin.




Then Thanksgiving arrived before we could blink. Our little guy got to meet new family members and even though it went fast, as it always does between splitting the day with my family and my husband’s, we still had a great time! Lots to be thankful for this year, that is for sure!




I did have a chance to do a couple easy dishes at my mom’s house the morning of Thanksgiving, while the boys played in the other room. I brought my camera along and decided to snap some shots for a blog post. Today, I am sharing my easy fruit and yogurt salad. You can really use any fruit with the yogurt sauce and then top with your favorite roasted nuts. Below is what I did. And the quality of these pictures aren't great - I wasn't on my 'normal set', so the lighting is not great :)!



Berry Yogurt Fruit Salad



Ingredients
Strawberries, 1 lb quartered
Raspberries, 6 oz
Blueberries, 6 oz
Banana, 2
Plain yogurt, ½ c
Honey, 1 T
Vanilla, 1 tsp
Limoncello lemon liqueur, 2 tsp (optional)
Pecans, ½ c




Dry roast the pecans in a skillet over medium heat with no oil. Stir occasionally and make sure not to burn. Chop once done and set aside to cool.





Mix yogurt, honey, vanilla and limoncello. If you don’t have limoncello but still want some citrus flavor, you could use the zest and juice of a lemon, or any citrus fruit.



Better Bonus Tip: Pour hot water into your measuring spoon, before adding honey. This will help it slide out.


Prepare fruit by washing and chopping. Add to a bowl and add yogurt sauce. Stir to coat. Add pecans and serve immediately.  If you aren’t serving immediately, wait to add bananas and pecans until the last minute, but I don’t recommend waiting too long before serving because the berries are soft fruits and will get mushy.








Better Bonus Tip: If you want a harder winter salad, try with apples, pears and grapes.


Better Bonus Tip: Take this fruit salad to a different level of freshness by adding fresh chopped mint. This would be really good in the summer!

I hope to be back to posting every Friday on a regular basis. I am not going to put as much pressure on myself now that my priority is my little guy, so if I skip a week I hope you all will understand. I do have some posts planned for the next few weeks, so stay tuned.


~Ashley





2 comments: