Friday, December 13, 2013

Taco Soup

I am not a person that only wants soup in the fall and winter months. While I do love a hot bowl when it is cold out, I enjoy it year round. Even in the summer and it doesn’t have to be cold soups. My husband on the other hand, prefers it during the winter, so I make it a lot! This is one of my go to soups that is so easy. And of course it is Mexican inspired. If you have been following long, you know I love fresh mexican ingredients and love finding different ways to eat them. Also, if you follow the Cooking For A Better Tomorrow Facebook Page, you might remember me posting this last fall. It was a hit, so decided to develop a post for it. Enjoy my take on yummy taco soup!


Taco Soup
Makes 8 cups




Ingredients
Ground beef, 1 pound
Red onion, ½ medium or 1 small (about 1 cup chopped)
Garlic, 2 cloves
Frozen corn, 2 cups
Favorite bean, 2 cups fresh cooked beans or 1 can drained and rinsed
Enchilada sauce, 1 can (mild or hot - your choice)
Diced tomatoes, 1 can (I use fire roasted for extra flavor)
Beef broth, 2 cups
Cumin, 2 T
Chili powder, 2 T


Optional toppings:
Sour cream
Cilantro
Avocado
Shredded cheese
Lime
Tortilla chips (crumbled on top or as scoops)




Chop onion and garlic. Brown meat in a skillet. When meat is starting to brown, but still has some pink, add chopped onion and garlic.



Once meat is completed cooked, add seasonings and stir to coat. Then add corn, beans, tomatoes, sauce and broth.




Better Bonus Tip: If you are using low sodium broth, you might want to add some salt. I don’t need salt like some people do in their dishes (as you might have noticed), but taste and add to your desire.


Bring the soup to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook until ready to serve.




Better Bonus Tip: Soups are great to make double batches of and freeze. It takes the same amount of time to make one batch as it does a double.

As the weather gets colder, I hope you will enjoy this soup and stay warm!


~Ashley





No comments:

Post a Comment