Friday, October 14, 2011

Individual Chicken Pot Pies

Fall is here! I love Sunday evenings on the couch under a blanket, with a movie on the TV and a nice warm dinner in hand.  Last fall, I tried to make my first chicken pot pie and we loved it, so I wanted to share it with you. 




Zach always wants me to cook lima beans, he is a weird man right? I don’t mind lima beans, but they are definitely not a veggie I crave by any means. When I decided to try to make these chicken pot pies, I figured I would try adding them. My guess is some of you won’t want lima beans in your chicken pot pie. The great thing with this recipe is it can be individualized for you and your family, so have fun with this. A traditional pot pie usually contains onions, celery, carrots, and peas, so feel free to use those veggies or experiment with ones your family likes. 


I like to serve this meal in individual serving dishes, because it makes it more fun and elegant. You will have to play with the amount of each ingredient depending on how you decide to serve this and also depending on the amount of people you are feeding. Keep in mind the dish you choose will need to be oven safe.


Individual Chicken Pot Pies

Serves 4



Ingredients:
Puff pastry, thawed
Cooked chicken breast, shredded, one per person
Frozen pearl onions, 1 cup or so
Frozen corn, 1 cup or so
Frozen lima beans, 1 cup or so
Fresh mushrooms, 1 cup or so
Heavy cream, ½ cup heavy cream
Chicken stock, 3 cups
Flour, 4 tablespoons
Dried thyme, 1 tsp
Dried sage, 1 tsp
Garlic, 2 cloves minced
Fresh parsley, couple tablespoons chopped
Salt/Pepper, to taste
Butter, 1 T melted
Oil


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 


Cook veggies in some oil, until warm and cooked through. 

 Add chicken, along with thyme, sage, garlic and some salt and pepper to taste.

Mix well and then add flour to coat meat and veggies. Stir in cream, mixing all of the ingredients together. Then pour in 3 cups of chicken stock and the fresh parsley. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until thick, stirring occasionally.


While veggies and chicken are simmering, unroll puff pastry sheets. Place individual serving bowls face down onto puff pastry. Use a knife and trace the edge of the bowl plus an extra centimeter or so, allowing for extra to fold over the edge of the bowl. 

Once the veggie and chicken mixture is thick, pour it into individual serving bowls and top with the puff pastry. Brush the top with melted butter so the pot pie will brown in the oven and cut a slit in the center.


 


Let pot pies brown in the oven for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.


Better Bonus Tip: To save some time, feel free to substitute a cooked rotisserie chicken. 


~Ashley

1 comment:

  1. This is my 3rd meal I've made from Ashley's recipes! I think this is my favorite so far. I made it for a couple of friends and they said, "This is what pot pie is supposed to taste like!" If you've been reading but haven't tried one of these recipes yet, you are missing out! Thanks Ashley!

    ReplyDelete