Friday, December 23, 2011

Shrimp and Feta Pizza

December is usually a busy time of the year for Zach and I, and I would bet for most of you as well. It can become difficult to try to get a home cooked meal in and not eat out all the time. When I am looking for a quick easy meal at home, pizza is one meal I turn to. I was never a kid (or adult) that really loved pizza - not American right! Same goes for hamburgers - I don't ever crave a big fat juicy hamburger - I know, not sure what is wrong with me?  

I have, however, in my recent years start liking pizza more. The transition occurred when I started eating 'not normal' pizzas. Pepperoni, hamburger (and definitely not cheese only) pizzas don't cut it for me - BORING! You can call me a food snob, others have. I can't help it - I will eat anything, just choose to eat more of a variety. My discovery of Spin Pizza a few years back is what opened my eyes to what pizza could really be. Their menu has your traditional pizzas, but also incorporates non traditional ingredients, like artichokes, capers, roasted red peppers, eggplant, apples, pine nuts, just to name a few - all delicious! As I have said in the past, eating out inspires me with cooking and Spin did just that with pizzas.
 
Not only can the ingredients be whatever you want them to be, you have flexibility in how you prepare the pizza if you make it homemade. You can make one big pizza all with the same toppings, you can put different toppings on different sections of the pizza for each person or even make individual pizzas. When I started experimenting with pizza, the first ingredient that came to mind was shrimp. I love shrimp and can’t say I have ever had it on a pizza, but thought why not? I also really like to experiment with not using the traditional red sauce on pizzas. To me, eliminating the red sauce, makes the pizza not feel so heavy, not to mention it is healthier for you. The end result of my first pizza creation is a shrimp and feta pizza with a drizzle of olive oil. I made it for Zach and I and we really liked it. I then decided to branch out and make it for a few different dinner parties with friends and the result was positive, so I hope you will like it as well.

Shrimp and Feta Pizza
Ingredients:
Pizza dough
Shrimp, cut into small pieces, uncooked
Cherry tomatoes
Garlic cloves
Chives
Feta
Extra virgin olive oil
Crushed red pepper, to desired level of heat

Half cherry tomatoes or cut into bite size pieces. Take fresh peeled garlic and slice into tiny slivers. Use a knife or kitchen shears to make 1 inch pieces of chive. 


Form dough into the shape you would like the pizza to be - I like rectangle. I use a packaged dough because if I am looking for a quick meal, making pizza dough from scratch doesn’t really fit into the equation for me, but feel free to do that if you would like.

If you are using a refrigerator pizza dough, check the baking instructions. Most cook at 400-425 degrees. I find baking the dough for 5 or so minutes prior to putting the ingredients on the pizza works great. After the dough has baked for 5 minutes, scatter all ingredients on the pizza in quantities that look good to you (yep, you are in control and being creative without following a specific recipe - I am going to make you do this more and more as you read this blog). End with feta, a sprinkle of crushed red pepper to desired level of heat, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Bake the rest of the duration, according to directions on the package.

Better Bonus Tip: Whole Foods has a pizza dough that they make fresh for $2. To me this is totally worth it - still fresh, good quality ingredients and a total time saver!


~Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment