Friday, March 30, 2012

No Meat March: Crispy Tilapia with Mango Salsa


Today is the last entry for the series No Meat March. Hope you have enjoyed the recipes I shared. I was persuaded to do this as my first serious after learning about a global campaign, known as Meatless Monday. How often do you eat meat in a week? This campaign encourages people to give up meat one day a week and there is evidence that shows Monday would be the best day.  Is this something you think you would like to consider?  You can read in detail all of the reasons why they feel you should make this change, but overall this campaign states that “by going meatless once a week you may reduce your risk of chronic preventable conditions like cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity. It can also help reduce your carbon footprint and save precious resources like fresh water and fossil fuel.” They do however, admit by “going meatless that is not enough”, so they also offers great health resources on their website. In addition to the health benefits, I also feel having a vegetarian meal once a week will help with variety in your meal planning.

Over the course of this month, I have shared a few vegetarian dishes and today I will share a second seafood dish. I will be honest, I don’t love fish. I like love shellfish such as shrimp and scallops, but never do I find a fillet of salmon as a meal I crave - I know there are a lot of people that do, I am just not one of them. Problem is my husband is one of those people and loves fish. I do try to cook fish occasionally to accommodate his tastes and because it really is good for you. Tilapia is a fish I don’t mind too much - it is a really light and flaky fish with not too strong of a fish smell and taste. I turn to fish tacos quite a bit, but also try to think of ways to make as a fillet, because at the end of the day that is the way Zach likes it best.

I personally am desiring a vacation, but probably won’t be getting a tropical one any time in the near future, so I decided to take us back to the Caribbean with my Crispy Tilapia and Mango Salsa


 
I used the ataulfo (pronounced aht-ah-uhl-foe) variety of mangoes for my mango salsa. This variety of mangoes is one of the sweetest varieties and are great this time of year.  They are in peak season from March to June and were on sale at the store this week, so this was a no brainer for me. When you are picking out the best one to buy, gently press and see if you get an indention in the mango. Also, you will know they are ripe by their golden yellow color.

Working with an Mango:
Find the 'head' of the mango (the pointy top). Move your knife over a centimeter or so and slice off the 'cheek'. Repeat on the other side, leaving the pit in the core of the mango to discard.



Use your knife to cut the flesh on a
diagonal. Next, make slits the opposite way, making a crisscross design.


 
Turn the skin inside out and use your knife to cut the flesh of the mango out of the skin.





 
Crispy Tilapia with Mango Salsa
Servings: 4
Ingredients:
Tilapia fillets (I like the individual flash frozen servings - great for always having fish on hand)
Cornmeal, ½ c
Seafood seasoning, 1 tsp
Oil


 
Coat each fillet in the cornmeal mixture. 



 Saute in a oiled pan over medium heat for 3 minutes per side


Serve with Mango Salsa (recipe below)


 
Better Bonus Tip: This fish is great on some toasted bread served with mayo or tarter sauce - sandwich style. Also, my favorite way to eat this fish, as I mentioned above, is to cut into small pieces, and serve inside a tortilla with some slaw and the Mango Salsa.

 
Mango Salsa
Servings: 4 


Ingredients:
Mangoes, 2 (produced just under 1 c chopped)
Chopped red onion, ¼ c
Cilantro, 2 T
Lime juice, fresh from one lime

 
Chop all ingredients and mix together. 



Serve with the crispy tilapia fish or with your favorite chips.

Better Bonus Tip: Would be great with pineapple also - either in place of mango or in addition to.

____________________________________________________________________

 
One last thing, not sure if you noticed some updates to my site last week. I changed some colors around, as I have noticed depending on the computer I am on, some of the colors were difficult to see. I apologize for this, but hope you will find the changes beneficial. Please let me know if you find them still difficult to read. I am trying to find a way to continue to keep my color scheme, but of course make it the best for you, my followers!

Also, I have added a few pages to the tool bar - Recipe Index, Self Education and Tips & Techniques. This is a user friendly way to find the blogs I have posted to date - just click on the links within the pages and it will take you back to the original post. Hope you will find these changes helpful!

Happy Cooking!


~Ashley  



 









No comments:

Post a Comment