Friday, May 4, 2012

Trio of Lettuce Wraps

Who is wanting to start eating lighter? I know I am. It is getting warmer outside. Despite really loving to cook, I don’t want to spend as much time in the kitchen in the evenings when it is nice out. Also, I just don’t feel like eating as heavy as the weather gets warmer. Not the mention, the unavoidable...the warmer it gets the less clothing you wear - short/skirt/tank top/swimsuit season is right around the corner.

Today, I am sharing a trio of lettuce wraps. Lettuce wraps are a fun way to eat ingredients - outside of the box if you will.  Sure you could eat a salad, but it is more fun to eat with your hands. To me there are a few essential ingredients to any good lettuce wrap. First up, a protein. You could absolutely do a completely vegetarian lettuce wrap, but I like to have a protein of some sort. Next up, lots and lots of veggies to compliment the protein. Third, a sauce. It could be homemade or a pre-made sauce. Finally, something that provides some good crunch. Of course a lettuce wrap can’t be a lettuce wrap without lettuce - I used iceberg this time, but considered trying butter lettuce. When I think about lettuce wraps, they usually surround a theme or type of food. Today I made three different lettuce wraps, all very different, but all encompassing the four steps I mentioned. No true recipes today, just ideas for you to build on.


First up, an Asian Inspired Lettuce Wrap




Ingredients:
Cooked Shrimp (marinated in Teriyaki sauce)
Slaw (prepacked or a mix of chopped green cabbage and grated carrots)
Green Onions
Cilantro
Peanut Sauce
Peanuts
Lime Juice

I actually intended to use the chinese crunchy noodles but forgot to get them at the grocery store, so just decided to use peanuts. Also, another idea - after I made them, I thought water chestnuts would be a good addition.

Second, a Mexican Inspired Lettuce Wrap



Ingredients:
Ground Meat (cooked with your favorite taco seasoning)
Tomato
Red Onion
Cilantro
Lime Juice
Cheese
Crumbled Tostito Chips
Favorite salsa or taco sauce

Last, a Thanksgiving Inspired  (turkey and cranberries) meets California (avocado) Lettuce Wrap - a bit of a stretch I know


Ingredients:
Deli Turkey (cut into ribbons)
Slivered Almonds
Dried Cranberries
Avocado cream (mashed avocado mixed with greek plain yogurt)

Of course, with any of these lettuce wraps, add things you think sounds good, remove things you don’t like, consider substituting a completely different protein like chicken or pork or MAKE UP YOUR OWN!!!


Which is your favorite?

~Ashley




>

No comments:

Post a Comment