Friday, July 27, 2012

Three Ingredient Meal

When I was growing up my best friend and I used to eat Eggs in a Blanket all the time. I bet most of you have had some variation of this, maybe just named something different. Well what our moms did was take a piece of bread and remove a circular piece from the center. Then they would butter up each side and put in a pan, with a cracked egg added to the opening. Simple as that, but we loved it!

So years later, as an adult I find myself watching the Food Network sometimes a lot. The Next Food Network Star is a series that just finished and on one of the episodes, one of the contestants made a Scottish Egg. I had no idea what that was, but did some research and it is basically a hard boiled egg coated in sausage meat and bread crumbs then fried.

So where am I going with these two stories that seem unrelated? Well as I was watching this person make a Scottish Egg, it seemed kind of complicated and honestly didn’t sound that great, but I still took inspiration. I thought about taking that idea of fancying up the hard boiled egg, but in a much more simplified format. Then I was reminded of that childhood play on words - eggs in a blanket. Today I am serving my version of eggs in a blanket using ham as the blanket instead of bread, and serving it on a hash brown waffle.

Eggs in a Blanket served on a Hash Brown Waffle




Ingredients:
Eggs, 1-2 per person
Deli Ham, 1 thin slice per egg
Baked Potato, 1 per two people


Place eggs in pot and fill with water. Turn on high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cook for 7 minutes.




Better Bonus Tip: If you read my Kitchen Essentials blog, you know I love my egg timer. That is actually what I used in this recipe, but I timed it for those of you that don’t have one and it took 7 minutes to get to the ‘soft boiled line’.

Once eggs are done, run them under cold water and let them cool.

While eggs are cooling, peel and shred the potato(s). Squeeze to release water and then divide onto your greased waffle maker.  Cook for 30 minutes.






After your eggs have cooled, peel the shell.


Better Bonus Tip: I find if you run them under cold water as you are peeling it helps keep the nice smooth edge!

Lay out one piece of deli ham and then set one egg on top. Begin to roll and fold the ham around the egg and insert a large toothpick or skewer to keep it all together.






Better Bonus Tip: The longer the skewer the better because it helps you flip the egg as it cooks.

Finally, add your eggs into a greased sauté pan and cook over medium heat for  a total of approximately 6 minutes, turning as each side browns. As the ham browns, it will conform to the egg and the toothpick can be removed.




To serve, remove hash brown waffle from the waffle maker, sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Slice hard boiled egg in half on an angle and place on top of waffle.


Better Bonus Tip: This is a very basic dish. Have fun with this. Add various other ingredients to the hash brown waffle – corn, peppers, onion, garlic, seasonings. Serve with your favorite hot sauce, salsa, hollandaise sauce, etc.



Take inspiration when you can! See you next week.


~Ashley






1 comment:

  1. Ok yum! Such a creative and simple breakfast option.

    ReplyDelete