Friday, August 31, 2012

Lasagna Cupcakes


The muffin pan has been getting some more publicity lately. Instead of using them for a traditional muffin or cupcake, people are making smaller versions of all types of foods.  I have seen the muffin pan being used to make chicken pot pie, meatloaf, tacos, eggs, potatoes, and pancakes, just to name a few. This week I decided to give lasagna a try and I think it turned out pretty good.

I have always really liked the idea of cooking smaller individual portions. I personally think it is more fun to make and eat, plus it really helps portion control. Obesity is a huge concern in our nation.
According to the CDC, “approximately 17% (or 12.5 million) of children and adolescents aged 2—19 years are obese and since 1980, obesity prevalence among children and adolescents has almost tripled.” Additionally, “more than one-third of U.S. adults (35.7%) are obese.”

I am a firm believer everything most things in moderation, otherwise you will probably not be successful. Maybe, this is one small change that could be made to start retraining our bodies to what an
appropriate portion should be.

Lasagna Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes


Ingredients:
Ground meat, ½  lb
Italian seasoning, ½  T
Lasagna pasta,  6 sheets (100% whole wheat if you can find it)
Ricotta, ½ c
Pasta sauce, ¾  c
Mozzarella, 1 c

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Start browning meat in a skillet over medium heat.  After a few minutes, mix in Italian seasoning.

While meat is cooking, boil water for pasta. Once boiling, add salt, then lasagna sheets and cook for 7 minutes. This will not be the complete cooking time, because we will be finishing the pasta off in the oven. Once pasta has been cooked for 7 minutes, cut into two pieces.

Better Bonus Tip: If you don’t have time to cut them into two pieces right away, don’t lay them on top of each other or they will start to stick together.

Once beef is completely browned, grease a piece 12 cup muffin pan. Start layering each cup - pasta shell piece, spoonful of ricotta, spoonful of meat, spoonful of tomato sauce and then top with mozzarella cheese.






Bake in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes and then broil for a couple of minutes to brown the top.

If you made
basil salt with me a few weeks ago, sprinkle some on prior to serving.

Suggestion: serve with
stuffed italian mushrooms and your favorite salad.

What other things have you made in your muffin pan?

________________________________________________________

One other thing....

September 30th 2011, I published this blog with a goal to update weekly. I wasn’t sure if I would be able to do it, but have and have thoroughly enjoyed the journey!. I hope you have too! I thank you so much for following me, because if people aren’t reading it, why would I do it? Having this blog has also really encouraged me to continue to learn and experiment and I thank you for that.

For the longest time, I have wanted to do more. I feel there is so much I want to share all the time! Time is absolutely a factor that is preventing me from doing that at this point. As a solution, I took guidance from some fellow bloggers and decided to develop a
Cooking For A Better Tomorrow Facebook Page. If you enjoy hearing from Cooking For A Better Tomorrow and are on Facebook, click on the above link and ‘like’ the page. You could also click on the button on the left sidebar of this blog page. Any updates I share will then show up in your newsfeed.  I am not naive to think everyone is on Facebook, so if you aren’t and would like to receive the information I share on the Facebook page via email, send me a note at cookingforabettertomorrow@gmail.com.

Finally, if you like my blog and the content it shares - tell your friends and thank you for your support and for keeping this blog alive!

Have a relaxing Labor Day weekend!


~Ashley





No comments:

Post a Comment