Friday, November 23, 2012

Baked Parmesan Chive Potato Cakes

I hope everyone is enjoying time with their family and friends as this holiday season has officially begun.  Did anyone make it out to do Black Friday shopping? I do not like to shop on a normal day, so Black Friday shopping is my worst nightmare. We did however have some interest in a new TV for our house. My husband got up early this morning to go out and get it after researching them all last week. Guess what, he let me sleep in - boy am I thankful for him! Sadly, it didn't work out. He got there right when they opened and they were already sold out :(. Oh well, we couldn't have done anything different.

So what are we making today? Well, I love leftovers and I bet a lot of you have tons of Thanksgiving leftovers! There are a ton of people out there that would rather throw their leftovers away, then eat it again. Which are you? Would you consider using leftovers to make another dish? How about using mashed potatoes - a Thanksgiving standard?  We actually rarely have mashed potatoes left around the house after our Thanksgiving meal, because my brother loves them so much. If you do, I have a really easy and tasty idea for you to turn those creamy mashed potatoes and into delicious crispy potatoes cakes.

I don’t know about you, but I ate A. LOT. yesterday. With that in mind, I tried to make these cakes a bit healthier. Instead of frying in oil, my cakes are baked to brown perfection. 
Give my Baked Parmesan Chive Potato Cakes a try (that is a mouthful).

Better Bonus Tips: My tips for baking and still getting that crispy brown edge are three things. First, brush with oil. Second, flip over half way. Third and final, end by broiling for a couple of minutes.

Baked Parmesan Chive Potato Cakes
Servings, 4-6 (makes 12 mini cakes, 2-3 per person)




Ingredients:
Mashed potatoes, 2 cups
Garlic, 2 cloves chopped (if you have garlic in your mashed potatoes, you can skip it now)
Chives, chopped ¼ cup
Grated parmesan cheese, ¼ cup
Italian bread crumbs, approximately 1 cup
Egg, 2
Salt and Pepper




Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Mix mashed potatoes, garlic, chives, cheese and salt and pepper in a bowl. 




Form into small patties, flattening a bit.



Crack eggs in a bowl and beat. Pour bread crumbs into a second bowl. Dip each individual potato cake into the egg, then bread crumbs. 





Lay on baking sheet, lined with parchment paper. Brush each cake with oil. 





Bake for 10 minutes. Flip and brush second side with oil. Bake for 8 more minutes and then turn broiler on high for 2 minutes. 




Enjoy this tasty remake and your weekend!  See you next week.



Better Bonus Tip: Here is one more tasty idea you could use with your leftover mashed potatoes. And here is one for leftover turkey.


~Ashley





No comments:

Post a Comment