Friday, December 14, 2012

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Oh brussels sprouts, how we love you. I did not grow up eating brussels sprouts. Not sure if I had them once actually until my adult years. My husband might kill me for saying this, but he was actually the one that wanted me to start making these tasty vegetable years ago. Weird, I know.

The down and dirty. They are known as a cruciferous vegetable like broccoli and cauliflower. They are most closely related to cabbage, even resembling little mini cabbages. You typically buy them in a pound bag, but I love seeing them at the farmers market - chopped straight from the farm on a large stalk. They are high in vitamins, especially vitamin C and been known to have some cancer fighting qualities. This veggie is especially popular in the the fall and winter months.

So what to do with sprouts? You can shred, slice, half, quarter or eat them whole. You can eat them raw or cooked. Brussels sprouts almost always get a nasty look from people, but I think they are worth giving a shot. My secret to great, full flavored veggies is roasting and that is exactly what we are doing today. You can use very little ingredients and get amazing flavor. My favorite is when they come out of the oven, just shy of burnt - amazing crunch and roasted flavor.

Some say that cooking to certain temperatures, usually above 200 degrees is not good because you lose nutrients. While I think there is truth to this, I feel any way you can get kids (or picky family members) to eat veggies is better than no veggie intake at all. If you are an avid vegetable eater, raw is always best!

Because they are green in color, my Roasted Brussels Sprouts would be an easy side dish for your holiday table. Super simple!

Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Serves 4




Ingredients:
Brussels Sprouts, 1 lb
Oil, 3 T
Apple Cider Vinegar, 1 T
Dijon Mustard, 1 tsp
Salt and Pepper





Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Remove any brown outer leaves and chop the ends off. 


Better Bonus Tip: Cutting an ‘x’ in the bottom will allow for heat to penetrate and even cooking. I often forget this step and they still come out perfect.



Mix ingredients and pour over brussel sprouts, mixing to make sure all coated. 




Bake for 20-25 minutes.






You can hardly call this a recipe it is so easy!

Better Bonus Tips: Top with cooked bacon, pancetta or roasted nuts for added flavor and texture.




How many of you eat brussels sprouts? What is your favorite way to prepare them?

~Ashley





No comments:

Post a Comment