Friday, February 8, 2013

Freezer Anytime Burritos

Freezer cooking is really popular right now. I see links on Pinterest all the time for various freezer meals. I freeze a lot, but it usually leftovers or cooked ground meat for tacos or pasta. I have never made a meal with the sole intention of freezing it - until now! A couple weeks ago, I decided to make some freezer burritos. I was going to call them breakfast burritos, but really they can be eaten anytime. Of course eggs for breakfast make sense, but they would be just perfect for a quick lunch or easy dinner.

Why did I do this? Well, I fail at cooking occasionally. Just because I like to cook, doesn’t mean I always like to cook. There are definitely nights when I don’t feel like cooking or days where we simply don’t have anything to eat around the house and we end up out somewhere. This is my hopeful fix for that. Feel free to modify the burritos however you would like. No real recipe today, just an idea.

What I used.

Eggs
Kale
Onion
Black beans
Red bell pepper
Shredded cheddar
Bacon




What I did to prep.
I scrambled up some eggs. I used an entire dozen.

Cooked some kale. I add coarsely chopped kale to boiling water, covered and cooked for 5 minutes. Then I finely chopped the kale more.

Sauteed some chopped onion.

Sauteed some chopped bell pepper.

Defrosted some black beans. Feel free to use canned, just drain and rinse.

Cooked bacon. I like to bake it at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. I place them on wire trays to elevate them off of a baking dish, so they don’t sit in the grease. The time will vary based on your oven and the thickness of the bacon.

Assembly Line.
Lay out your tortillas. Add your toppings. Mix it up. Make different combinations, using the same ingredients. We even did a couple everything ones. Top with cheese. I did this on each of them.




Wrap them up. 

Fold the bottom up, then each side in. If you find the tortilla isn't folding up nicely, microwave them a bit to warm them up. Flip them over and place on a piece of parchment paper. Wrap them individually in parchment paper - fold the bottom up and the top down. Then fold in each side and flip over. Tie a string around them to hold them together. Don’t forget to write on the paper what is inside. 























Storing.
Place them in a freezer safe glass container. Feel free to use different products or just put them directly into the freezer, but you will want to use a thicker barrier like freezer paper if you don’t put them in a larger container. 




Heating Up.
Just pull them out and microwave for 90 seconds to 2 minutes. Cover with a moist paper towel to prevent drying out.

Serving.
Grab and go. My husband loves hot sauce with his eggs. Feel free to add your favorite sauce or eat them as is.


Other options.
Use whatever ingredients you want. I tried to make mine healthier, but you could use different veggies or even sausage, ham, potato, different cheeses, etc.

What is your favorite meal to freeze?


~Ashley





No comments:

Post a Comment