Friday, March 22, 2013

Frozen Treats

Okay, one more post about dairy. So now you know things to look out for and how to make homemade yogurt. I also shared a few things I do with yogurt - my smoothies, my frozen yogurt berries and also talked about different ways to flavor plain yogurt yourself, such as maple syrup, honey, vanilla or blended fruit. Today, I wanted to share my frozen treats that I experimented with recently. I usually always want a little something sweet after dinner, but tend to go the fruity route over chocolate. This is my way of getting a sweet treat without a ton of junk. We are making Banana Berry Soft Serve Ice Cream (without an ice cream maker) and Peach Strawberry Frozen Yogurt.

Banana Berry Soft Serve Ice Cream
Serves 1 (½ c)


Ingredients:
Banana, sliced and frozen (ripe best)
Berries,
½ c
Milk, 3 tsp


Blend bananas by themselves in a food processor or blender until it turns into a thick paste. Stop occasionally and scrap the sides.  


Next, add berries and then finally the milk.


Eat as is or flash freeze it for 15 minutes.

Better Bonus Tip: The banana is what gives this the soft serve texture. You can do all banana or try substituting other add ins - different fruits, peanut butter, etc. Don’t skip on the banana though. 




Peach Strawberry Frozen Yogurt
Serves 1 (½ c)


Ingredients:
Plain yogurt, ¼ c (greek is best for a thicker consistency)
Maple syrup, ½ T
Vanilla, ¼ tsp
Frozen peaches, ¼ c
Frozen strawberries, ¼ c
Milk, 3 tsp


Mix the first three ingredients in a bowl. 


Blend all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Stop occasionally and scrap the sides.


Flash freeze for 45 minutes. If you choose to add banana, you may not need to do this as long.




Overall Better Bonus Tips:  These recipes would both be really easy to duplicate. Also, feel free to play around with different fruits. Finally, if you have popsicle molds, these would be fun to freeze for on the go snacks. I have even made some and kept it in the freezer. The consistency definitely changes, but I can usually scrape off a few spoonfulls after dinner to satisfy my sweet tooth.

Hope you enjoy!


~Ashley



No comments:

Post a Comment