Friday, August 16, 2013

Antipasto Pasta Salad

Today is my 100th post! Kind of crazy. In September of 2011, I first decided to take the plunge and start this blog. I was a little nervous - didn’t really know what I was doing, but really truly have enjoyed every minute. It has forced me to continue to learn and experiment. I made the commitment to you two years ago, that I would post once a week and I have been able to maintain that promise. As you have heard me say many times my goal with this blog is to help share what I learn in order to hopefully help you make better choices in the kitchen. I am thankful for each and every one of you for continuing to read each weekly post. You are why I do this!

Oh man do I have so much more I want to do, but time is always the factor! I tend to think it will be awhile before I get to pursue those goals for myself due to the huge life changes our family will be experiencing soon! And I am SO okay with that right now!

In the meantime if you are wishing for more, be sure to like the Cooking For A Better Tomorrow Facebook page where I try to update a few times a week. I share articles and blogs I find interesting, along with different food I am playing around with or other's recipes I am cooking. 

Anyway, what are we making today?

Just as I hope to inspire you, I take inspiration from others. That can be watching TV, eating out, reading a magazine or book, or eating something friends and family create. Today is actually a simple summer side dish that I took inspiration from a coworker a couple years back. She brought a similar dish to a work potluck and I really enjoyed it. She didn’t really have a recipe, but it seemed easy enough to re-create, so I gave it a try. Turned out great and we have had it many times since. This is a great summer dish because it only takes 10-15 minutes to make and is not mayo based, so can tolerate the heat a bit better. I call it an Antipasto Pasta Salad. Antipasto is Italian by nature and is typically an appetizer that contains cured meats, cheese and pickled ‘stuff’. Feel free to take this base and make changes to a way that fit your liking. Again, the great thing about cooking and learning is you take the basics and modify for yourself, family and friends! Lets get started...


Antipasto Pasta Salad
Serves 4-6




Ingredients:
Cheese tortellini pasta, 9 oz uncooked
Salami, 10 slices
Mozzarella cheese, 4 oz
Pickled mixture, 2 c (I used peppadew peppers, kalamata olives, artichokes, roasted garlic) plus reserved oil / vinegar liquid, ½ c
Honey, ½ T




Cook tortellini pasta according to directions. Mine said 4-6 minutes. Once done cooking, cool.




Better Bonus Tip: If short on time, flash cool in the fridge.


Lay salami slices on top of each other and slice into small squares.





For the mozzarella, I used a block of cheese. I cut off a slice and then cubed.




Mix the ½ c oil / vinegar liquid from the pickled mixture with the honey.





Mix the pasta, salami, cheese and pickled mixture into a bowl and add the vinaigrette liquid, stirring to coat.




Better Bonus Tip: I keep my pickled ‘stuff’ size as is, but feel free to chop into smaller pieces especially if the peppers and artichokes are bigger.

So easy right? Enjoy this for your end of summer cookout!



~Ashley





No comments:

Post a Comment