Friday, April 4, 2014

Homemade Thick Yogurt, Part II

About this time last year, I did a post on homemade yogurt. I have made this yogurt multiple times, but I like thicker yogurt and never could get it the consistency I wanted. Making homemade yogurt isn’t hard, especially if you don’t care about how thick it is, however if you are like me and like thicker yogurt - this post is FOR YOU! I read this blog awhile back and it changed my yogurt making life in two ways. First up, she had a secret ingredient to make thick yogurt.  I use slightly different milk:yogurt ratios and I choose to use a bit less of her secret ingredient, but it still helped me accomplish my goal of thicker yogurt. And so much easier than straining the whey, like I had previously talked about in my post last year. Secondly, she had this handy dandy yogurt appliance. When I posted on homemade bread a couple months back, I talked about how I try to avoid having lots of appliances in my kitchen. I really debating getting this, but decided to bite the bullet and give it a try. I do not regret it at all. It isn’t big, so is easy to store, it isn’t difficult to clean and comes with glass jars, which I love, since I like to avoid plastic when I can. Keep reading if you are like me and like homemade thick yogurt!


Homemade Thick Yogurt, Part II
Slightly adapted from Deliciously Organic
Makes 4 cups




Ingredients:
Whole milk, 4 cups
Yogurt (saved from last batch or store bought), 4 T
Gelatin, 1.5 tsp


Warm milk in pot until reaches 115-120 degrees. Remove from heat and whisk in gelatin until dissolved.




Better Bonus Tip: Play around with the amount of gelatin until you get the consistency you like. If you buy it in grocery stores, you will likely get it in pre-divided packets, which are going to probably be more than you want for one yogurt recipe. Just open all the packets and store in a bulk glass jar.


Cool to 110 degrees.




Better Bonus Tip: This should only take 10-15 minutes max, but feel free to pour into a glass jar  / bowl and surround with another bowl of ice to speed up the process.


Once cooled to 110 degrees, add yogurt to milk and stir to combine. I also like to add it back to a glass measuring container, because it makes it easy to pour.



Pour into yogurt maker, turn switch on and let it rest for 6 hours.




Better Bonus Tip: You could always go back and use the crockpot method.


After 6 hours, add glass jars to fridge to completely cool.




After completely cooled, I add the yogurt to one large mason jar and get the small jars washed so they are ready to use for my next batch. You will likely need to stir it (I like to use a whisk) to get it really smooth.

Better Bonus Tip: In case you forgot, I choose plain whole fat yogurt. Adding your own flavoring or sweeteners is best, because you can control the ingredients. Feel free to add them before you make the yogurt or mix in before serving.

~Ashley








No comments:

Post a Comment