Friday, June 29, 2012

Baba Ganoush

Back from California. We had a great time, but I am sad to say, I didn't get much inspiration for new recipes while there. I think my expectations were too high. I do however still try to get inspiration wherever we are, whatever I see on TV, read about, etc. My husband and I love to go to a restaurant named Yia Yia's Euro Bistro. The food is great, but the main reason we love to go is we crave the free starter they give you - baba ganoush. Baba ganoush, sometimes spelled baba ghanoush, is a Middle Eastern dip very similar to hummus. The main difference between the two is eggplant is used in baba ganoush, whereas garbanzo beans/chickpeas is the main ingredient in hummus. 

I love love love the dip and it seemed easy enough to make. I talked with the workers a few times, really listened to the way they described it when they brought it to the table and I was inspired to try to make it at home. Well I have tried twice and ….FAIL! It tastes nothing like their dip, which I guess is why they have a successful restaurant and I am just a home cook who attempts to cook and share recipes on a blog :)! Either way, still a good recipe worth sharing, so here you go. This is the final recipe in the Summer Starters and Sides Series, again taking help from the blender, so you can spend more time enjoying the weather and your family and friends!

Baba Ganoush
Inspired by Yia Yia's Euro Bistro Baba Ganoush


Ingredients:
Eggplant, 1
Greek plain yogurt, ¼ c
Lemon, 1
Garlic, 1





Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Prick edges of eggplant and roast for 20 minutes. When done in the oven, let cool so you will be able to handle it.

When cooled, slice open the eggplant and remove the skin. Chop the eggplant into a few pieces and place in the blender. Add remaining ingredients - ¼ c yogurt, juice of one lemon and one clove of garlic. 




Better Bonus Tip: Remove the seeds from the eggplant if you would like. I don’t mind them but some might.

Blend until smooth but still thick. At this point the dip is still probably slightly warm from the eggplant, so I would recommend cooling in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

Hummus, as you may know doesn't really have a bold flavor. Well baba ganoush is the same way. To serve this dip, I think adding some toppings helps with extra flavor.

Suggested toppings:

  • Herb oil (blend ¼ c extra virgin oil, 1 T of chive and 1 T of parsley)
  • Smoked paprika
  • Sesame seeds
  • Lemon juice
  • Sesame oil, few drops (little goes a long way)

Traditionally this dip is served with pita (again like hummus), but my friends and I have found we like a firmer bread because of the contrast in texture.  If you would like to go that route, just throw some slices of bread on your grill or grill pan with a drizzle of olive oil or try my crispy garlic baguettes from
earlier this month.



Just yesterday I got to have some of this delicious dip at work. My coworker brought some in for us because we share the love. I am not giving up! Next time I try to make this, I think I will try adding a little more yogurt. That is the only thing I can think of, it is just so creamy and delicious. I will keep you posted!


~Ashley






No comments:

Post a Comment