Friday, September 14, 2012

Crispy Lemon Kale Chips

I bet by now you have heard of the popular veggie kale. Kale is part of the cabbage family and is so nutritious and good for you, which is why I think it is so popular right now. If you are only going to eat a few veggies, dark green leafy ones are the best to eat. Kale’s nutritional line up consists of: low in calories, high in vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin B6, vitamin C, potassium, phosphorus, manganese, copper, calcium, iron, folate and fiber.




A lot of people are adding kale to their smoothies, although I still tend to want to stick with the powder for ease sake. I am also seeing a lot of kale salads lately. My favorite way to eat kale is as crispy kale chips. Honestly, this is the way I eat kale 95% of the time. They are so easy to make and the crispy texture makes it not like many other veggies.  I bet your kids might even eat these. Give them a try!


Crispy Lemon Kale Chips



Ingredients
Kale
Fresh lemon
Oil
Salt



Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

To start out, make sure the kale is washed and dried. You might have also noticed the thick stems on the kale leaves. Some call them veins, but to me it is just a thick stalk or stem. To remove the leaf from the stem, you can use your knife or your hands - this is a hardy vegetable and won’t bruise. 





You might be thinking this looks like a lot of kale and you don’t want to use it all, but it will shrink just like spinach and other greens.

Next, use your knife or hands and chop (or tear) into pieces. Then toss in oil and sprinkle with salt and spread out on baking sheet.

Bake at 425 for 10 minutes, tossing halfway. This might seem like a long time, but works in my oven. Just be sure to keep an eye on them, so they don't burn.

As soon as you remove from the oven, squeeze fresh lemon juice and toss. 






Let me know what you think!


~Ashley







No comments:

Post a Comment