Friday, September 21, 2012

Spicy Sausage Hash

Hash is an easy staple dish around our house. It is easy to make, pretty quick and all in one pan.  Guess what that means - easy clean up! Plus, I can usually get a protein, grain, and veggie all in one dish with not many ingredients.

Hash is basically meat and potatoes cut into small pieces with the most popular hash probably being corn beef hash. I don't worry so much about the size, instead try to get all the ingredients the same basic size, so it is easy to eat. 
You can make hash for breakfast, lunch, dinner or as a side, so to me, that is one versatile meal! My hash base consists of potato, onion, garlic. Each time I make a hash, I play around with various seasonings, veggies (corn, peppers, etc) and protein (sausage, leftover deli meat, eggs, etc). I encourage you to do the same. What is in your fridge?


Today I am sharing a spicy sausage hash, using some of fresh spicy link sausage that I get from my mom's coworker's family. They sell sausage as links or ground, mild or spicy - plus it is local so that is of course a benefit for me. Hope you enjoy!



Spicy Sausage Hash
Serves 4



Ingredients:
Baking Potatoes, 2 small
Onion, 1 small
Garlic, 2 cloves
Bell Pepper, 1 small
Spicy Sausage, 1 lb link
Paprika, 1 tsp
Salt
Pepper
Oil



Peel and cut potatoes to desired shape. I prefer half moons or small cubes. With this recipe I did half moons because of the shape of the sausage.



Heat an oiled saute pan over medium heat. Add potatoes and let begin to cook and crisp. Don’t touch them for at least the first 5 minutes, so they can start to brown on one side. 


While the potatoes are cooking, slice or dice the onion and pepper to your desired shape. Mince garlic.


Better Bonus Tip: This dish is a little onion heavy, but I love onions. Feel free to use what you would like. You could just use less, not use any fresh and just sprinkle with some onion powder, or zest some fresh onion just to get the flavor, but not the texture.

Next, cut sausage links into pieces. 



Better Bonus Tip: Make sure to use a separate cutting board for the sausage. Also, feel free to remove the casing or leave it on - most are completely edible, but some people prefer to remove it.

After potatoes have cooked for approximately 15-17 minutes, you will notice they are beginning to brown and the oil is mostly absorbed. Add the sausage, onion and pepper. Cook for an additional 10 minutes.   You don't need to add more oil, because as the sausage cooks, it will produce grease.




Finally, add minced garlic, sprinkle with 1 tsp paprika, salt and pepper and cook for another minute or two. 


Easy 30 minute meal, all in one pot!


~Ashley





1 comment:

  1. How have I made it this far in life and never eaten or made hash??? Excited to try it out!

    ReplyDelete