Friday, May 17, 2013

No Bake Energy Bites

If you follow my Cooking For A Better Tomorrow Facebook Page, you know I am always playing around and trying new breakfast snacks for the week. Each working morning, I start my day off with a smoothie on the way downtown. Then I always like to have a mid morning snack otherwise I am ready for lunch at 10am. I typically turn to hard boiled eggs, granola, fruit, veggies, muffins, peanut butter and crackers, homemade granola bars, etc. A while back my mom and I made some delicious no bake energy bites and since then I have seen them everywhere! They taste like no bake cookies, but are packed full of healthy goodness. I took inspiration from tons of various recipes out there and of course had to add my touch. They are so easy - literally maybe 15 minutes working time, if that. They are best if you can let them sit in the fridge for 30 minutes before forming into balls, so plan ahead a little bit.


No Bake Energy Bites

Inspired by many

Makes 25



Ingredients:
Oats, 1 cup
Peanut butter, ½ c
Ground flaxseed, ½ c
Honey, ⅓ c
Sunflower seeds, ¼ c
Chocolate chips, ½ c (I used cacao chips)
Orange zest, ¾ T
Vanilla, 1 tsp
Cinnamon, ½ tsp



Mix all ingredients in a bowl and let sit in fridge for 30 minutes.




Better Bonus Tip: Spray a measuring cup with oil spray before measuring honey and peanut butter. It will make it easier to remove.

Roll into balls or use a mini scoop to make it easier.


That’s it! Best if stored in fridge, especially if you have your air off like us and the temperature varies in your house. The super fridge temps will help them not fall apart.


Better Bonus Tip: Play around with your mix ins. Other ideas include nutmeg, other citrus, other nuts or seeds (whole, chopped, ground up, or ground up and rolled on the outer edge of the balls instead of added as the filling), dried fruit, shredded coconut, pumpkin puree, cacao powder, chia seeds, almond butter or be creative and think of something different and let me know!

Between my husband and I, we could have eaten all of them in one day. Hope you enjoy as much as we did.

What healthy snacks do you like to eat? Next week, I am going to try my take on granola bars!


~Ashley







3 comments:

  1. I am making these today! So excited to see how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they turned out and you enjoyed them!

      Delete
    2. They are very good. I have my husvand addicted. :-) I am excited to play a bit with the ingredients for different variations.

      Delete