Friday, May 10, 2013

Popcorn Trail Mix

Last week, I talked about GMOs and then gave you a suggestion to start buying your own organic kernels instead of the conventional bags. Did you do it? Okay, I’ll give you some time. Let me know how it goes, if you do decide to give it a try!

I also mentioned last week, that my husband loves to snack on popcorn. I do too, but want a little variety sometimes. Two Sundays ago, I tried experimenting with some different trail mixes using popcorn. As summer approaches, these would be great snacks for a long car ride, airplane trip or just out the zoo! 

Super easy this week! Two different versions: dried fruit, nut and popcorn and a dessert style with cinnamon, honey and chocolate!



Dried Fruit, Nut and Popcorn Trail Mix


Ingredients:
Popcorn kernels, ¼ c unpopped (makes about 3-4 cups popped)
Your favorite nuts and dried fruit (I used dried cranberries, lightly toasted peanuts and almonds) approximately ¼ c each
Shredded coconut, 1 T
Butter, 1 T


Pop your popcorn and separate unpopped from popped kernels. Discard unpopped kernels.


Melt the butter over the stovetop and add shredded coconut, stirring to combine.



Add to a bowl with the remaining ingredients.



Dessert Style Popcorn Trail Mix


Ingredients:

Popcorn kernels, ¼ c unpopped (makes about 3-4 cups popped)
Chocolate chips, ¼ c (I used cacao chips)
Butter, 1.5 T
Cinnamon ¼ tsp
Honey, 1 tsp


Pop your popcorn and separate unpopped from popped kernels. Discard unpopped kernels.


Melt the butter over the stovetop. Add honey and cinnamon, stirring to combine.



Pour butter mixture over popcorn. Immediately add chocolate and stir all to combine. By adding it all immediately, the chocolate chips will start to melt.




Better Bonus Tips: Try different add ins. Some different suggestions include your favorite cereal, pretzels, marshmallows, UNreal candies (regular chocolate or chocolate covered peanut). Feel free to skip the butter and / or add salt or other seasonings. Try melting chocolate and pouring over popcorn that is laying out on wax paper. Also, one I plan to try soon is mixing my granola with popped popcorn.

I thought the next couple of weeks I would share a few more healthy travel snacks, since summer is fast approaching and hopefully people are getting in some vacations or day trips to the zoo, pool, park, etc! See ya then!

~Ashley





No comments:

Post a Comment