Friday, September 13, 2013

Steak Fajita Lettuce Wraps with Cilantro Lime Cream Sauce

Not too much new on the baby front. I have two weeks left until my due date, but of course he could come early or late. Last weekend, I was able to spend a lot of time stocking my freezer, so we can continue to try to eat healthy when I just don’t feel like cooking. I was worried I wouldn’t feel up to it, but got a lot done and feel really good about it!  Make sure you are following the Cooking For A Better Tomorrow Facebook Page. I pop in more often during the week over there and share what I am cooking. Last weekend, I shared what all I made for my freezer and how I store everything, so check it out for details.


Speaking of not feeling like cooking...I am purposely planning easier meals for us at home these days. Since I really don’t know how I will feel in the evening when I get home, I want to make dinner as easy as possible. I grew up eating fajitas quite a bit and that was always a quick easy meal for my mom. For some reason, I forget about them now that I am the cook of the house. My husband and I were actually just talking the other night about how we rarely eat the same thing multiple times because it is fun for us to experiment and we really aren’t picky. We do however, have a few staples and mexican is one of them. I absolutely consider fajitas a mexican dish and since we really do enjoy them, I need to get back in the habit of including them on my rotation.


Today, I am kicking up traditional fajitas and making them into lettuce wraps, which I love to do! Hope you enjoy!


Steak Fajita Lettuce Wraps with Cilantro Lime Cream Sauce
Makes 7-8 lettuce wraps




Ingredients
Steak, 1 lb
Fajita seasoning (if you use mine, you need 3 T)
Bell pepper, 1
Red onion, ½ large
Lettuce leaves, 7-8
Sour cream, ¼ c
Cilantro, 2 T
Lime, 1




Slice steak, against the grain, into thin small strips. Mix fajita seasoning with steak and let marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes. If you are using my seasoning, you will mix with ¼ c water, otherwise follow package instructions.





Better Bonus Tip: Our steak meat supply from our cow purchase is gone, so we just got some steak from the grocery store. He recommended sirloin flap meat. Feel free to use whatever you would like. Also, consider half chicken / half steak, shrimp or all veggie with some sweet potato mixed with the pepper and onion.


While meat is marinating, slice pepper and onion and set aside.




To make cilantro cream sauce, mix sour cream, chopped cilantro and lime juice. The juice helps make it a more liquidy pourable dressing for your wraps.





Add oil to a pan over medium heat and once hot, add pepper and onion and cook for 4 minutes.




Make a well in the center and add steak and marinate, cooking until desired level of doneness. I cooked mine another 3 minutes.





Once meat and veggies are done cooking, assemble wraps. Simply add the meat and veggies to a lettuce leaf and drizzle with cilantro lime sauce.



Better Bonus Tip: Other suggested toppings include guacamole, cotija or feta cheese or your favorite sauce / salsa.


That’s it! A simply grain free take on fajitas. Check out some of my other favorite lettuce wraps here.

~Ashley





No comments:

Post a Comment