Friday, February 28, 2014

‘Stuffed Mushroom’ Chicken Tenders

Oh man, am I ready for warm weather!! March is just around the corner, but so is potentially more snow. I remember last year mid March we got a huge snow storm. I really really hope that isn’t the case this year. I am ready to get out and grill, take walks and just get some good old fashion vitamin D. I also can’t wait to watch my son learn about the outside and just take it all in. I think we are both getting a bit bored inside. You can only play with the same toys so often.


Speaking of my son, since he was born, my husband comes home for lunch just about every day now. Since I am working part time, about once a week, I try to make a special lunch. He doesn’t mind sandwiches, but isn’t it fun to eat something different besides sandwiches or leftovers for lunch? I think that is why most people end up going out to lunch, but eating at home is cheaper, better for you and we can control the ingredients. This week I made some yummy chicken tenders. I really like stuffed mushrooms so took those basic ingredients and decided to bread some chicken. This is kid and family approved - I hope!




‘Stuffed Mushroom’ Chicken Tenders
Makes 8 tenders



Ingredients:
Chicken tenders, 8
Mushrooms, 2-3
Onion, ¼ of a yellow or white variety
Garlic, 1 clove
Fresh parsley, 2 T
Grated parmesan cheese, ¼ c
Bread crumbs, ¼ c
Dried italian seasoning, 2 tsp
Egg, 1
Salt and pepper




Wipe mushrooms with wet cloth and remove stems. Finely chop until you have ½ c. Also, chop parsley and garlic clove.



Using microplane or grater, grate onion until you have ⅛ c.


Better Bonus Tip: If you don’t have a grater or microplane, you could just add some dried onion powder.



Add mushrooms, onion, garlic, parsley, cheese, bread crumbs, and seasonings to a bowl. Add egg to another bowl.




Melt 1 T butter (or oil) in saute pan over medium heat. Dip chicken tenders first into egg wash bowl and then coat in mushroom mixture.





Add four chicken tenders to pan and cook for 3 minutes, making sure not to move. After 3 minutes, flip and brown other side.  Once done, let rest on a paper towel. Add another tablespoon of butter and add next four tenders, repeating cooking instructions.





Serve as is, or make a simple honey mustard dipping sauce. Mix honey and yellow mustard with a 1:1 ratio. For these eight tenders, I did two tablespoons of each. I also added a splash of red wine vinegar, but that is optional.



Better Bonus Tip: You could use this same breading on chicken breasts. Since they are bigger, you will need to cook longer. I recommend browning in the saute pan and then finishing off in the oven so the crust doesn’t burn.

Hope you enjoy!


~Ashley











No comments:

Post a Comment