Friday, May 9, 2014

Avocado and Bacon Melt

Creamy. Crispy. Deliciousness. This sandwich is for my husband. He L.O.V.E.S sandwiches. Honestly, he would be a happy man if we ate sandwiches for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Well, most days at least. I think he would miss some things. He really just loves food. I love that he will and wants to eat everything. It is encouraging to me in the kitchen that I can experiment and he will eat it all with a smile on his face. Also, its so fun to eat out with him. We are self proclaimed foodies. We love eating out and getting inspired. Just last month for our wedding anniversary he surprised me and took me to this local restaurant we had not been to and his appetizer of choice was braised octopus - umm what? Okay, why not!? Ironically, that was not the first time he has had octopus. His first time was actually in Puerto Rico. I do wish he cooked more in the kitchen with me, but hey you can’t have everything right?!


So anyway, back to the sandwiches. I don’t love sandwiches, but do try to make fun different ones for him. A couple I have made for him in the past are a remake on Panera’s frontega chicken sandwich, a steak sandwich, and a meatball sub. Today is one featuring one of my favorite ingredients - avocado! The creaminess of the avocado, paired with salty, crispy bacon makes this sandwich delicious.


Avocado and Bacon Melt
Serves 2


Ingredients
Bread, 4 slices (I use sprouted grain bread)
Munster cheese, 4 slices
Avocado, ½
Bacon, 3-4 slices
Butter, 1 T
Hot sauce, optional


Cook bacon.


Better Bonus Tip: My favorite way to cook bacon is on an elevated baking dish (I use cooling racks sitting on top of a baking pan with sides so the grease drips down and the bacon doesn’t sit in the grease). Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, flipping half way.




Layer ingredients on bread. I do a slice of cheese and bacon on one slice and then avocado slices and another piece of cheese on the other.  Add the optional hot sauce - this is for my husband, I skip this part.




Melt ½ tablespoon butter in a griddle pan (one with ridges and a cover made for panini sandwiches) over medium heat. Add sandwiches and cook for approximately 4 minutes until brown. Then add the other ½ tablespoon butter and cook other side for another 4 minutes.




Better Bonus Tip: If you don’t have a griddle pan, thats fine just use a saute pan. To get the sandwich nice and melty like a panini, you can use a smaller saute pan inside of the larger one, with a can on top - just need something create pressure.

Slice the sandwich (my husband likes at a diagonal :) and enjoy!




~Ashley








No comments:

Post a Comment