Friday, May 16, 2014

Roasted Sweet Potatoes

Can I get a free pass this week? Today’s blog is going to be short and sweet for no other reason than I didn’t have time to get a better one ready. I was so blessed to get to celebrate my first Mother’s Day on Sunday, but Sundays are normally my blog cooking day. I then planned to cook on Monday or Wednesday during my son’s nap instead - as those days I am off work. Monday was flat out yucky around here. I am a photo snob and only like to take pictures with natural light, so decided to skip blogging on Monday because of the weather and lighting in my kitchen. Wednesday was busy with appointments and really just life. Do you forgive me?


I did still want to pop in, as I hope you look forward to my Friday posts. Today I am sharing a super SIMPLE way I like to prepare sweet potatoes. I love crispy sweet potatoes and find it extremely difficult to walk the tight rope between too soft and burnt. I finally mastered a technique for Baked Sweet Potato Chips, but it really is pretty tricky and ovens vary so much, so might be difficult for others to replicate.


Instead of doing the somewhat tedious chip method, I much more frequently just cut them into bite size cubes, drizzle them in some oil, sprinkle with salt and bake at 400 degrees. Mine usually take about 30-35 minutes, but starting about 25 minutes I would watch them closely. I also find giving the pan a little shake or using a spatula to move them around and flip them half way through, helps them crisp up and not burn. After removing from the oven, let them sit for a few more minutes before eating - they will further crispify :).


These are a favorite around our house. We eat them as is or on green salads, with quinoa, brown rice, in a stir fry or a egg and veggie hash, just to name a few ways. So many fun ways to experiment and roasting them (as with any veggie) gives them a whole new depth of flavor over steaming.




To get you started, here are a couple of recipes I have eaten chopped roasted sweet potatoes in:




Thanks for continuing to follow and support!

~Ashley








No comments:

Post a Comment